SEC Sports

Tuesday, July 9, 2019

The SEC is full of "voices" that will live on forever


The Southeastern Conference is such a large part of our lives. Whether it be in Knoxville, Starkville, Tuscaloosa or Oxford, we all grew up following our favorite teams on the gridiron.

We’ve shed tears, both happy and sad, with family and friends, our entire football filled lives. There’s one staple that will forever be embroidered in the fabric of our fandom. Their names include John Ward, Jack Cristil, Paul Eells and Jim Fyffe.



It could be Larry Munson of Georgia so eloquently describe Georgia beating Tennessee back in 2001 late in the 4th quarter using a “hob nailed boot.” It might be when Jack Cristil wrapped up a victory in maroon and white against No 1. Alabama in 1980. Some will remember when Paul Eells called every yard of Matt Jones beating LSU inside War Memorial Stadium to advance to the SEC Championship Game in 2004.

For all of us, we were along side John Ward for so many years, counting down the yards before exclaiming, “Touchdown Tennessee.”

And finally, who will ever forget Rod Bramblett telling us all about the night that “Auburn was going to win the football game.”


As a kid in high school, I was simply enamored with collegiate football broadcasters. While so may were talking about the players, band and the pageantry, I was wondering what time the pregame show was starting. I was the kid inside the stadium listening on the Sony Walkman. I was the kid soaking it all in.

Frankly, it was the only way to keep up with a game if you weren’t inside the stadium in the late 1980’s until the mid 2000’s. Now with the SEC Network, every touchdown can be seen each Saturday. Back then, only a few games were televised on Saturday’s and you relyed on the play-by-play voices of the SEC. 

For me, I was essentially what Tune-in Radio is now for my friends. I had every SEC teams broadcast stations written down in my wallet. A night kickoff? Watch out, because the AM frequencies “powered up” at dark.



I tell the story often when I was returning from a game in Lexington, I was able to pick up the LSU vs. Mississippi State game driving through Nashville on the Big 870 AM out of New Orleans. I had all of the stations memorized, frankly.

Ole Miss: WQLJ 93.7 FM
Miss. State: WFCA 107.9 FM
Alabama: 94.1 WZBQ
Arkansas: KFFA 103.1 FM
LSU: The Big 870 AM
Vanderbilt: KWAM 990 AM
Tennessee: 680 AM
Kentucky: WHAS 840 AM
Georgia: WSB 750 AM

On Saturday nights, I always wanted to drive my mom’s car. It was a Buick and the AM reception was phenomenal. It wouldn’t be uncommon to see me perched on top of a hill listening to games.

I’ve heard many say that local radio broadcasts are a lost art. I beg to differ. In fact, they are more accessible now than ever. Each team streams all of the broadcasts via apps and websites. Secondly, you can find all of them on the Tune In radio app. As of the last few years, schools have started streaming the games via their own schools apps. I’ve yet to find a service that isn’t free to stream collegiate broadcasts.

To this day, I listen to every game I am covering on the radio. I cannot imagine not having that option. The conference is incredibly lucky to have guys like Bob Kesling at Tennessee and Neil Price at Mississippi State to keep the legacies of those who have passed on alive and well.

Just last year I talked to Chuck Barrett, who was charged with the job of replacing Paul Eells at Arkansas over 10-years ago. Barrett, who does a phenomenal job, smiled and said it is an absolute pleasure serving the great Hog fans across the country.



I’ll admit, I don’t know what heaven is like. I really hope its guys like Ward, Munson and Cristil sitting around telling stories. I hope it will be a time where we all can sit around and hear those stories.  

Until then, we’ll be listening and happily along for the ride.

No comments: